Institut Curie, integrated cancer research site
“Integration is defined by the sharing of research questions and objectives across various disciplines to develop coordinated and synergistic programs. The ultimate goal of integration is to provide better care for cancer patients.” Source: National Cancer Institute (France)
The concept of integration is the foundation of the American “Comprehensive Cancer Center” model.
The excellence of biomedical research at Institut Curie was endorsed by the French National Cancer Institute's SiRIC label in 2011.
Modelled on the American “Comprehensive Cancer Centers”, the aim of the French SiRICs is to stimulate and support high level multidisciplinary research in order to ultimately develop the performance of French cancer research, to accelerate the transfer of new findings to innovative care and diffuse new practices and new knowledge.
The SiRIC label at Institut Curie is a continuation of the “Curie model”, a cultural heritage passed down from the Institute’s founders : Marie Curie and Claudius Regaud. Their ambition was to develop fundamental research at the service of humanity to help combat diseases; cancer in particular.
Our missions : care, research and education to fight against cancer
A hospital complex dedicated to cancer treatment
- A generalist cancer centre
- A significant recruitment for multiple tumour types:
- - breast cancer and gynaecological cancers
- paediatric tumours
- eye cancer
- State of the art surgery, in particular
- expertise in mammary surgery
- complete mastery of all surgical pathways in the gynaecological sphere
- High-performance technical platforms
- 15% of patients participate in a clinical studies
- 14 400 patients in active consultation
One of the most important European cancer research centres
- 86 research groups
- An exceptional range of scientific disciplines organised under 4 themes
- Biology and chemistry of radiation, cell signalling and cancer
- Development, cancer, genetics and epigenetics
- Integrative tumour biology, immunology and environment
- Multi-scale physics-biology-chemistry (molecules, cells, tissues and organisms)
- An historic culture of interdisciplinarity
Researchers are free to decide the research topics they wish to study.
Biomedical research, nourished by the wealth of this basic research and interdisciplinarity, permeate throughout the Institute.
A teaching mission
- 1 000 students, young researchers and hospital interns are welcomed each year
- 49 doctors of science graduates in 2015
- An international doctoral program based on the research of the units
- High quality courses in cooperation with partner universities
- Generic courses on the implementation of cutting edge technology developed on the platforms
- Mayent Rothschild grants (sabbaticals)
- A process of accompaniment and career development for junior team leaders (training and mentorship…)
Accelerating innovations relevant for prevention and care
Translational Research Department
The translational research department is a hub for biomedical research at the Institute. Its mission is to promote collaborative projects that associate researchers and physicians. Located within the hospital, the department is a place of expertise that aggregates skills. Its goal is to apply basic research discoveries to innovative care for the benefit of patients.
The translational research department is made up of 7 research teams and 6 platforms.
Clinical research relies on the medical departments (surgery, bio pathology, radiotherapy, imagery, oncology, paediatric…) and the transverse thematic hospital groups (breast, gynaecology, digestive, ophthalmologic…)
Clinical research benefits from the support of transverse structures :
- Clinical investigation unit
- Management of clinical trials unit
- Management of patents and industrial partnerships
- Internal review committee
Institut Curie’s significant preclinical research expertise helps to drive projects to the proof of concept phase.
Solid expertise in promising oncology fields
- Precision medicine
- Radiotherapy and proton therapy
A structural capacity to react to new challenges.
Thanks to its status as a foundation Institut Curie has its own capital and, as such, a certain flexibility, allowing dynamic reaction to innovations (find out more about our status). This flexibility has encouraged the emergence of numerous innovative and precursor projects notably in the case of the incentive and cooperative research programs.
Our resources and platforms
An exceptionally rich environment
- The Montagne Sainte Geneviève, a place that gathers renowned institution
- ESCPI Paris Tech
- Collège de France
- The Institutes
- Institut Gustave Roussy
- The Universities
- Paris Descartes University
- Versailles Saint Quentin University
- Paris Sud University
Institut Curie is a founding member of PSL* (Paris Sciences and Letters Research University) and therefore enjoys privileged links with all members of PSL.
Figures taken from the 2015 Institut Curie annual report and the "ERC 10th Anniversary"' video.