The SIRIC label at Institut Curie
The SIRIC label reinforces the structuration of the care-research continuum. It aims at developing interdisciplinary research programs led by clinicians and researchers and disseminating the resulting knowledge.
The objectives of integration, innovation, and knowledge outreach are especially ambitious and require the commitment of SIRICs for both the conduct of integrated research programs from fundamental research to applied research and for their capacity to organize interactions.
SIRIC-Curie 2011 program
Olivier Delattre, Director of the Cancer, Heterogeneity, Instability and Plasticity Unit (U830), led the first SIRIC endorsement from 2011 to 2017.
The 1st SIRIC project was defined by transversal programs based on common concepts, materials or methodologies that covered all tumor types. This configuration ensured that structuring actions benefitted all of the research teams whatever the studied pathology.
The scientific program was axed on 4 themes broken down into 8 integrated research programs :
- Molecular investigation of tumor samples : uniting molecular pathology, the study of genetic susceptibility to cancer and the study of disseminated disease
- Imaging projects
- Research with a therapeutic aim : including preclinical models and early clinical trials, immunology and radiobiology approaches
- Human and social sciences
The 8 SIRIC2011 programs covered a large range of cancer research domains. SIRIC support was focused on missing links necessary for carrying out such a wide-ranging program.
A wide-reaching impact
The SIRIC2011 endorsement had a huge impact on the trajectory of translational research by leading numerous structuring actions, which allowed a qualitative and quantitative leap with concrete clinical results.
Some structuring actions :
- Creation of new translational research teams
- Support of emerging groups (uveal melanoma and biomarkers)
- Establishment of integrative inter-program meetings
- Structuring research in immunology, radiotherapy and targeted therapies
- Establishment of structures and organizations (NGS platform, molecular multidisciplinary consultation meetings, institutional consent form, data team …)
- Transferring results to the clinic, dissemination of knowledge, organization of symposiums …
SIRIC2011 - SIRIC2018 transition: a radical change of program
SIRIC2011 laid the foundation upon which SIRIC2018 is building to reach a new degree of integration by deploying a program completely dedicated to one of the major research questions: “beating treatment resistance”.
The number of scientific programs has been reduced to focus on a core of 3 flagship pathologies for Institut Curie addressed with major scientific concepts.
SIRIC-Curie 2018 program
SIRICs have a triple mission of integration, structuration and use of research results.
Sergio Roman Roman, Director of the Translational Research Department is at the head of the SIRIC2018 program.
This new program is bsaed on spatial and temporal tumor heterogeneity taking into account cell identity and plasticity. The tumor-host dialogue at both the tumor microenvironment and immune system level are an integral part of the program as are new therapeutic strategies based on original drug combinations and innovative approaches.
Via these programs, our objective is to develop new tools and new scientific approaches, which could then be adapted to other pathologies.
SIRIC 2018 is integrating the voice of patients more than ever by creating a committee of care receiver representatives involved at all levels of the SIRIC (steering committee, research programs, communication…)